Blog

The Official Writing Community of the Black List and Go Into The Story
Read. Write. Review. Discuss. Succeed.

Feedback on GOYOQ

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Krissy Brady 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Several people have shared some heart-warming praise in the forums for Scott, GITS, GOYOQ, and the GOYOQ forums project.

Scott doesn’t pop into the forums that often, so I have been forwarding your comments to him to make sure he sees them.

Scott is planning on doing a big countdown series to October 22, when Pages (/writing the script) starts. He has asked if I could solicit some more testimonials about GOYOQ (/and the forums) from you to use for the countdown.

My reaction to his email was: a chance to finally do something back for Scott? Wahoo!

If you are finding GOYOQ helpful and could put a few words together to say how it is helping, why you’d recommend it, or what you’re getting out of it, please leave a comment on this post, and I’ll make sure Scott gets it. (If you have left a similar comment elsewhere in the forums and you have the time, please add something here, too–copying and pasting is fine!–so your comment isn’t left out.)

I hope we can come up with some good quotes and come through for Scott on this!

Shaula

PS If you have /other/ comments, concerns, questions, requests feedback, etc., about the forum in general, you can always bring your issues to the attention of me and the other mods by writing us a note in the Ideas & Feedback or Tech Support sections.

Lydia Mulvey

@Shaula

Happy to oblige! :D Scott has been a powerhouse of energy and information over the summer for me and I’m grateful to return the favor, however small.

Things I’ve learned from GOYOQ:

1. Ideas are important. Good ideas are incredibly important. So have lots of ideas. And don’t be afraid to beat them up, play with them, knock them into shape.

2. Loglines are important. Loglines are also hard. So keep working with loglines. (For the record, it’s not getting any easier yet, but I imagine it will in another twenty years or so at my current rate.)

3. Getting pages written is important. Getting pages written can also be hard what with distractions such as the Internet/pet guinea pigs/days when your hair is “difficult”/wondering why there’s a slice of cake in the fridge that no one else has eaten. I mean, is there something wrong with it? Has it fallen on the floor? Is it poisoned and my spouse is trying to get rid of me?

4. Knowing that if you keep working, you’ll get better.

Number four for me is the key. Since I stumbled across the Go Into The Story blog and subsequently threw myself with abandon into GOYOQ, how I approach my writing has changed utterly.

Something has just clicked. I can’t put it any other way. It may be that the years of slog I’ve put in writing terrible scripts, combined with the GITS blog and the Quest/GOYOQ have created a sort of perfect storm, but I’m now starting to see results when I send my work out, with read requests coming in and fairly-decent placements in competitions (semi-finalist in this year’s PAGE awards etc.)

As a result, GOYOQ has been enormously helpful in focusing my strengths, addressing my weaknesses (procrastination/lack of belief/being way-laid by cake) and making me understand that there is no magic formula into becoming a working screenwriter. There is no book or course or incantation to Buddha that will help.

You just have to be good. It’s really that simple. Just be good. And have several kick-ass scripts at your disposal. Because if you’re good and you send stuff out, you will get noticed. (And they will invariably ask for something else to read.)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Lydia Mulvey.

TheQuietAct

Weeks 10, 11 and 12 have made me realise I would have gotten in a total tangle without the Prep process.

The questions posed about character motivations, obstacles etc., have really helped me with my creative process in an intangible way.

I couldn’t understand why I had to spend all this time preparing. I wanted to get to the main event.

Now I have seen the light.

I actually can’t wait to get started on Pages. ( Which I had already attempted to start but I got well and truly suckered into quick sand. Now I have the tools and method to set myself free. I can see my route out of the jungle. I’m now aware there are coconuts,  tigers and poisonous snakes that I’m going to encounter on the way, even if they’re only in my imagination at the moment. All shall be revealed.)

Timothy
    Participant

Thinking about the story from all sorts of different views definitely helped me. Another issue I was having that GOYOQ helped me address was that I was trying to conform the story into the “type” of film I thought it should be, instead of seeing where the story and the characters wanted to take me. As soon as I wrapped my head around it, it was full steam ahead.

david joyner

What has GOYOQ helped me with?

I make lots of mistakes. In fact, “lots” is an understatement. But to me, that’s the way I learn. I also don’t like writing rules. I’d rather discover what works for me. The great thing about GITS and GOYOQ is that mistakes are okay. And, Scott has said repeatedly, there is only one writing rule: write! Scott has created a very welcoming community of writers who are learning about how to tell a story in an engaging way. Scott’s energy and hard work on the site, his generosity of sharing his knowledge of story writing, and his kindness and encouragement to other writers is a real inspiration. Writing tends to be a lonely profession. We each have own a world of our own creation, populated by characters arising from our imagination, that we are writing about. It’s great to have a place to belong, where ideas can be explored and all our lonely hard work is appreciated.

The week-by-week questions Scott asks writers, to make them think out how their story is progressing, is helpful to me. What I love most about these questions is the variety of answers contributed by the community. Reading them is a real learning experience for me.

Thank you Scott and thank you all!

debbiemoon
    Participant

I suppose I’ve known about a lot of prep techniques for years, and I even dabbled with using some of them, but generally I was in too much of a hurry to get writing pages to actually use them properly. Following the GOYOQ process has forced me to slow down and spend time in prep, and as a result, I feel I know these characters and this world better than in any previous script. GOYOQ has also enabled me to get to grips with a story I’ve been thinking about for some time, but could never quite work out how to tell. It’s the power of preparation!

Traci Nell Peterson
    Participant

The questions Scott posed during GOYOQ has had a tremendous effect on my writing process. Some of the questions were “progress checks” that I could easily nod my head and mentally check off, while others felt like being struck by the Creativity God’s bolt of lightning. Prep gave me permission to slow down and look at my characters and story from every angle. I am itching to get started on the Pages phase!

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Drumroll please….

I’m bumping this thread for GOYOQ 2013!

Folks, if you’ve done GOYOQ this year and you’ve got feedback about it, we would LOVE to hear how it’s worked for you and what your experience has been like.

SabinaGiado
    Participant

I took on a big challenge this year and I was very intimidated by it. The structure and the deadlines of GOYOQ helped me overcome my fear and just get it done.

The support network of The Black Board was another invaluable resource. Watching people reach their goals, hash out their problems, celebrate their victories, etc made me feel less alone.

I skimmed a few of my pages the other day – I think it’s not bad by God’s grace! In fact, I think we should have GOYOQs all year!

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  SabinaGiado. Reason: I had a code!

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Thank you for the reply, Sabina. I’ll make sure Scott sees this.

In fact, I think we should have GOYOQs all year!

I think so, too. In the new year, when people are back from holiday travel, let’s talk about how to do that.

Scott Myers
    Participant

Tomorrow marks the 24th and last week of the 2013 version of Go On Your Own Quest and I just wanted to stop by to congratulate any of you who have taken up the challenge to write the first draft of an original feature length screenplay.

Beyond that, you should know that your participation is part of a legacy that helped to spawn The Black Board. For it was a suggestion by Shaula Evans during the evolution of the 2012 GOYOQ to have some sort of message boards whereby participants could communicate with each other, and that evolved into this.

One of the beautiful things is if you did knock out a first draft of a GOYOQ script and are now faced with a rewrite, you have this wonderful place (TBB) to which you can turn to inspire and inform your rewriting process.

So my heartfelt admiration for all of you GOYOQ writers. If you feel up to it, I’d love to hear about your experience. Depending upon the responses, I’d be inclined to feature them in a GITS post, a sort of summary of the Year 2 challenge.

Finally a special holiday inspired dollop of creative juju for you and anyone who happens upon this thread.

HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOOOOOOOOO!

Onward!

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  Lydia Mulvey. Reason: html
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  Shaula Evans.

Lydia Mulvey

Scott,

GOYOQ has proven a big hit here at the board. It’s a marvelous series and proves that even if you’re working full-time or have a busy life, you can still get a script written in a reasonable amount of time using the GOYOQ approach.

Thanks for all the brilliant posts you’ve put up over the past 24 weeks. They’ve been inspiring (I especially enjoyed your Screenplay Time series which I found tremendously helpful).

My GOYOQ script was half-prepped and then I had to put it aside in favor of another more pressing project. However, that means that when I go back to it, I’m already halfway through prep!

I know there are writers out there who have finished scripts and I hope they come on here to let you know how they got on.

Mark Walker

I think the beauty of the GOYOQ “system” (yes, I am using that ironically!) is that it isn’t a system…..at least it is not something that you have to work through systematically. If you missed the first few weeks, it was easy enough to jump into. If you miss some in the middle somewhere, you can just catch up as and when…..missed the last few weeks? Hell, who cares, just get them read when you can.

It wasn’t about a 24 week programme that would take you through the “writing by numbers” steps of writing a screenplay, but a comprehensive resource of information and discussions that support you in the production of your screenplay on your terms. It isn’t about “this is how you write a screenplay” but “these are some of the things that are worth thinking about when you do.”

And it is a great way to feel supported in your writing. Knowing there are other writers doing the same thing, following the same advice and discussions and facing the same struggles….all backed up by GITS and The Black Board.

The beauty of all this? It’s all there, archived on both of thoses sources….so we can drop in and out as we embark on new projects in 2014. Struggling with Prep? Well, go and have a look…..concerns over your dialogue….you know where to go.

Will definitely be something to keep referring to.

Great stuff….and I even finished early. Next stop….Rewrite #1 – and as it is a Christmas Story, I can prolong the magic into January when it all gets a bit “grey” going back to work!

Krissy Brady
    Participant

Point blank: If it weren’t for GOYOQ and The BB, it’s highly unlikely I would have the first draft of my script done. GOYOQ helped me with two of my biggest challenges: routine and consistency. Because I had Scott’s fabulous blog posts to look forward to every day, they helped me get into the habit of working on my script first thing in the morning. I’d read his posts with my morning (bucket of) coffee, then work on my script. No matter how I was feeling in the a.m., his posts helped shift my mind into the right place so I could block everything out and finish that day’s pages.

Combine that with the emotional support offered through The BB – especially with all of the career challenges I went through in 2013 – and you’ve got a very proud writer. The BB gives me consistency within the inconsistency of a freelance career, and a sense of belonging that I’ve never had before.

I wouldn’t be surprised at ALL if at some point in the near future we hear Scott and The BB thanked in an Oscar speech. ;)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.