Blog

The Official Writing Community of the Black List and Go Into The Story
Read. Write. Review. Discuss. Succeed.

What a year it has been! Black List Annual Report Year One

Forums Forums Everything Black List What a year it has been! Black List Annual Report Year One

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Shaula Evans 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

The Year One Black List Annual Report is now live!–and it’s a doozy.

The Black List

November 12, 2013

In one year, we’ve hosted more scripts than any screenwriting competition has reported in a single year, completed more than 9,500 screenplay evaluations, directed more than 2,000 industry professionals to more than 12,000 scripts they were interested enough to download, helped more than 30 writers find representation, more than 20 find sales (from as far away as Ireland and Sweden), one get his movie produced, and another get a two picture blind deal at a major studio.

We’ve produced more than 2,257 posts for our screenwriting blog, Go Into The Story, and seen more than 20,000 comments in the Black Board, our online screenwriting community.

We’ve partnered with worldwide leader in algorithmic recommendations Myrrix, the WGA East and West, the Sundance Institute and Warner Bros to improve the site, provide education, and expand access to opportunity.

And we hosted a week long all-expense paid screenwriters lab in downtown Las Vegas with six writers on the verge and five professional mentors.

And we’re just getting started.

Want to know more…

Read our Annual Report in full.

And then come see us at The Black List.

Best,

The Black List

follow on Twitter | follow on Facebook | blcklst.com

Via the Black List Newsletter

Want to be first in line for breaking news from The Black List? Sign up for Black List email updates!

Looking for the full report? Read the Black List Annual Report here.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Click on images for larger version. Or view the full Black List Annual Report HERE.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Click on images for larger version. Or view the full Black List Annual Report HERE.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Shaula Evans.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Click on images for larger version. Or view the full Black List Annual Report HERE

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Click on images for larger version. Or view the full Black List Annual Report HERE

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

JR
    Participant

This is  quite a remarkable achievement. Not for any of the details, necessarily, but the big picture blows me away. To me, very much on the outside, it feels like there’s finally an intelligible way to pursue screenwriting as a career–at least in the early steps.

I was dubious at first, but the Black List strikes me as analogous to the online dating sites: initially seemed like a cool novelty … but now something like a quarter of couples meet online. They’re not just thriving businesses, they’ve become cultural institutions. I suspect the new Black List will follow the same path–if it hasn’t already!–in the culture of screenwriting.

Congratulations–and thanks–to everyone who made it happen. Way to turn a vision into reality.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

I second everything you’ve written, JR. I am so proud of and pleased for Franklin, Dino and Terry and astounded at what they’ve accomplished in just one year. It really is an honour that our community could be a small part of that.

Speaking of which, I don’t know how closely y’all have read the report so far but page one gives The Black Board a shout out, too–and that’s not to the moderators or to me, it’s to EVERYONE here who contributed to our community in the first year. Which is pretty awesome.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update

Franklin held a live Q&A about the report tonight and we’ve got the highlights for you here:

Mark Walker

I have to say, I have to read a lot of annual reports at work, and I always come  out in a cold sweat when I have to open the PDFs…..they are never fun to read……so it was a nice surprise to read the BL report……really cool design and not full of filler…..here are the facts, read them, be impressed!

And I love the fact that the BL is being used by so many people from all over the world. Obviously there is a concentration in the US, but submission from Argentina to the US Virgin Islands prove that the List is truly an international initiative and it can only get bigger and better.

Franklin and the team have a right to a suitably proud.

And it is fantastic to be a part of that by being involved in the Black Board.

Exciting times!

(Now all I need to do is get a couple of scripts finished and up on the List!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.