Blog

The Official Writing Community of the Black List and Go Into The Story
Read. Write. Review. Discuss. Succeed.

The best article on writing comedy you'll ever read

Forums Forums Genre Essentials Comedy The best article on writing comedy you'll ever read

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Shaula Evans 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Shaula Evans
    Participant

This article by Mike Corke is ostensibly about writing sitcoms but it tells you just about everything you need to know about writing comedy in any medium.

Sitcom: Why Audiences Laugh

If you think you can’t write comedy (and it breaks my heart when people say that), try giving this article a read and see how you feel about things then.

If you’re just a curious writer, whether you write comedy or not, the article presents a systematic way to look at character relationships, where plots come from, etc., that apply far beyond the world of sitcoms or comedy.

If you’re already a comedy writer and you’d like to raise your game, enjoy the article. It’s a Master Class in comedy writing.

I would love to discuss any of the ideas with you if you take a look. I’m going through the article with a fine tooth comb right now myself as I wrap up prep for my sitcom.

I look forward to your comments!–And I’m particularly curious to hear if the article is helpful or revelatory for those of you who don’t consider yourself comedy writers.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.