Blog

The Official Writing Community of the Black List and Go Into The Story
Read. Write. Review. Discuss. Succeed.

The Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship

Forums Forums Everything Black List The Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship

This topic contains 61 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Shaula Evans 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Via the Black List Newsletter

The Black List

October 29, 2013

We are very pleased to announce the Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship, a partnership between the Black List and producer Cassian Elwes (LEE DANIELS’ THE BUTLER, DALLAS BUYERS CLUB, ALL IS LOST) wherein one writer with a screenplay of indie sensibility and lifetime earnings not exceeding $5,000 will receive an all-expense paid trip to the 2014 Sundance Film Festival and mentorship from Elwes himself.

Beginning today, screenwriters can opt into consideration for the fellowship if, and only if, they meet the requirements listed here.

On December 1, the Black List, using its script evaluation service, will select a short list of ten writers from amongst those who have opted into consideration via the site. Those writers will be invited to submit a one page personal statement which will be reviewed, along with their selected screenplay, by Elwes who by year’s end will make the final decision about which writer will be offered the fellowship and will attend the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.

See you at Sundance,
    The Black List

“Behind every great independent film is a great writer. While it’s been my honor to work with some of the greatest filmmakers ever I have never lost sight of the fact the words were as important as the images. I love what the Black List is about, and I’ve been privileged to work on a number of films that have appeared on it. My hope is that Franklin and I will find the next wave of new voices that are the lifeblood of independent cinema.” – Cassian Elwes

follow on Twitter | follow on Facebook | blcklst.com

Want to be first in line for breaking news from The Black List? Sign up for Black List email updates!

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update from Go Into the Story:

Yet another terrific initiative from The Black List. There is the partnership between The Black List and Warner Bros. to promote diversity and the Black List Screenwriters Lab (I’ll be posting on that later this week). Now this effort aimed at indie film writers with one of the most well-respected producers in that arena, creating yet another crack in Hollywood’s wall, offering a new way in for writers outside the system.

Read the full article, including the official press release, here: Cassian Elwes Endows New Indie Writer Fellowship Via The Black List

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update

The Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship Eligibility Requirements

1. Entrant must host a script on http://www.blcklst.com for at least one week during the submission period.
    2. Entrant must be the sole and exclusive author of the screenplay submitted for consideration.
    3. Entrant must be over the age of 18 and competent to contract.
    4. Entrant must not have earned more than $5,000 in the aggregate in connection with any prior film or television writing work.
    5. Entrant must not be represented by an agent or manager in the film or television industry at the time Entrant opts into this program.
    6. If selected on December 1st as one of the ten writers to submit a one page personal statement for additional consideration, Entrant will deliver that personal statement by noon on December 6th.
    7. If selected, Entrant is available to be flown to Park City, Utah from a major American airport in order to attend the Sundance Film Festival on or about January 16th. Please note, in the event Entrant is selected but is not able to attend the Sundance Film Festival on such date, Mr. Elwes will have the right, but not the obligation, to award the Fellowship to the runner up.

Lydia Mulvey

Fantastic news!

I’ve just put forward one of my scripts.  Brilliant opportunity.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update

Deadline Hollywood: Cassian Elwes, Black List’s Franklin Leonard Will Take A Wannabe Scribe To Sundance

Producer Cassian Elwes and Black List founder Franklin Leonard have created the Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship. They will send one writer who doesn’t have an agent and hasn’t made more than $,5000 from scribbling to the 2014 Sundance Film Festival. They’ll cover the trip’s cost, and Elwes will mentor the scribe. The portal of entry is Leonard’s Black List. Writers with scripts on the service since October 15, 2012, can opt into consideration. They’ll tally a shortlist after December 1 and pick a winner. The plan is to make this an annual deal.

Read the full article HERE

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update

The Wrap: Cassian Elwes and the Black List Will Bring a Screenwriter to Sundance

Elwes, a unique force in the independent film world, also will mentor the writer.

Cassian Elwes and the Black List will send an aspiring screenwriter to the Sundance Film Festival under a new fellowship endowed in Elwes’ name, the Black List announced on Tuesday.

Elwes also will mentor the lucky writer.

An agent turned producer, financier and sales agent, Elwes is a unique force in the independent film world who is involved in a number of films each year, including this year’s awards contenders “Dallas Buyers Club,” “Lee Daniels’ the Butler” and “All Is Lost.”

To be eligible for the fellowship, the screenwriter cannot be represented by an agency or manager and must have earned less than $5,000 from writing in his or her career.

Read the full article HERE.

April Austin
    Participant

Another great opportunity! May have to work on my feature rewrite sooner than I thought. Can’t wait to see what they have planned for the TV pilots.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Just you wait, April. :)

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update

The Hollywood Reporter: Cassian Elwes Launches Indie Screenwriting Fellowship

The winner, whose script will have appeared on the Black List or its website, will receive a trip to the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.

Producer Cassian Elwes and Black List founder Franklin Leonard announced Tuesday the creation of a screenwriting fellowship which will award one writer an all-expense paid trip to the 2014 Sundance Film Festival and mentorship from Elwes.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update

Indiewire: Producer Cassian Elwes and Black List Team for Independent Screenwriting Fellowship

Producer Cassian Elwes and Black List founder Franklin Leonard have unveiled the creation of the Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship, wherein one unrepresented writer with lifetime earnings not exceeding $5,000, with a screenplay of indie sensibility, will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, and mentorship from Elwes himself.

Writers with scripts on the Black List or who have had scripts on the site since their launch in 2012 will be able to opt into consideration for the opportunity until December 1, at which time a shortlist of writers will be shared with Elwes, who will decide on one writer to make the trip.

Also from Indiewire/Shadow & Act:

The Black List Seeks Indie Feature Scripts for New Cassian Elwes Fellowship

A new opportunity for those of you writing independent films. Announced this week, producer Cassian Elwes (The Butler, The Paperboy, Blue Valentine, Ain’t Them Bodies Saints) has partnered with The Black List script hosting service to provide one independent screenwriter with a chance to attend the 2014 Sundance Film Festival and receive professional mentorship from Elwes.

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Folks, today’s announcement represents yet another Black List initiative that has been a long time in the works and we are so excited to finally share the news with you.  We’ll continue to keep this thread updated with news coverage and new details.

The bottom line for us at the Black Board is: We want YOU to win this fellowship–and we’re here to help you in any way we can.

If you have questions about the news, you are welcome to ask Franklin directly on Twitter (@theblcklst) or in his Black Board “Ask Me Anything” Discussion.

If you’re rewriting your script before you post it to the Black List, our rewriting section is here to help.

If you want one more set of eyes to check out your script before you submit it, check out our notes exchange.

If you want to polish up your logline before your submit your script, that’s why we have a Logline Workshop.

If we can do anything else to support you or answer your questions, just say the word: we’re here to help you succeed.

I hope this is an opportunity that many of you will be able to apply for–and one of you will win!

Shaula

PS If you’d like to receive notifications about these kinds of opportunities directly, sign up for the Black List newsletter.

TheQuietAct

Cool opportunity!

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update

Variety: Cassian Elwes May Take You To Sundance If You Have Not Earned $5,000
    Producer teaming with Black List on annual fellowship

Producer Cassian Elwes and Black List founder Franklin Leonard have created the Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship — which will award an all-expenses paid trip to the 2014 Sundance Film Festival for an unrepresented writer with lifetime earnings not exceeding $5,000.

The award will include mentoring from Elwes, who produced “Lee Daniels’ ‘the Butler” and exec produced “The Dallas Buyers Club” and “All Is Lost.” The Black List and Elwes plan to award the fellowship annually.

Mark Walker

This is another great opportunity……some fantastic developments with the Black List…..obviously the place to be…….

And yet again, an opportunity that it making me wonder if I can get a script ready by the 1st December…..

Shaula Evans
    Keymaster

Update

Screencraft: Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship Announced

Our friend Cassian Elwes, a legendary producing maven and renowned film financing expert, has an amazing filmography and is behind several films that will likely become major awards contenders this year like Lee Daniels’ The Butler, Dallas Buyers Club, and All Is Lost.

Today it was announced that he is now also behind the Cassian Elwes Independent Screenwriting Fellowship, in partnership with the Black List. The Black List (not to be confused with the hit show NBC is thanking the heavens that they have) is the brainchild of Franklin Leonard, who shares our mission of discovering talented screenwriters with worthy stories in all genres and guiding them forward in their careers.

With this new fellowship, “one writer with a screenplay of indie sensibility and lifetime earnings not exceeding $5,000″ will receive an all-expense paid trip to the 2014 Sundance Film Festival and mentorship from Cassian. Beginning today, screenwriters can submit for consideration for the fellowship if they meet the requirements.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.